The mission of Family Christian Development Center (FCDC) is to see lives transformed and the life fo the community enhanced by encouraging the oppressed, defending the cause of the weak, and maintaining the rights of the poor by bringing together the resources of the caring community as a demonstrations fo the good news of Christ.
Family Christian Development Center began in 1996 in an old church building on South Locke Street in Nappanee. The building had originally been the home of Nappanee Missionary Church. While the current location and building have served the community and the agency well, it has become obvious that the facility being utilized now is no longer adequate to meet the needs of the clients as FCDC fulfills its mission through the various programs.
Family Christian Development Center Services:
- Food Pantry: Individuals or families may use the Food Pantry to shop for their groceries twice each month. Clients choose the items they wish to have, assisted by volunteers who bag and carry the groceries to the client’s car. The Food Pantry is located in the basement of the old church.
- Clothing Closet – Families from Wakarusa and Nappanee can make use of the FCDC Clothing Closet one time each month and select ten items of clothing for each family member. Almost 6,200 items of clothing were distributed in 2016. The clothing closet receives donations from individuals, families, churches, schools, service clubs, and the New to You Consignment Store in Wakarusa.
- Baby Immunization Clinic: Twice a month families are able to bring in their infant children for immunizations. This service, like everything offered at FCDC is without charge to the families who need it. Families without health insurance that covers immunization are eligible to utilize this program. Last year 270 babies received 573 vaccinations, and the number will increase as FCDC increases the number of days the clinic is open from two to three times each month.
- Medication Assistance Program – MAP is open two days per week – Tuesday and Thursday – and provided $235,185 worth of prescriptions representing 186 client visits in 2016.
- Rent and Utility Assistance – In 2016 FCDC helped 59 households with either rent or utility assistance keeping those families in a stable location rather than being displaced and forced to move. Families or individuals can access the Rent and Utility Assistance from FCDC once during a 12 month period, and assistance is limited to $200 per situation. With increased water and sewage charges in Nappanee beginning in 2017, more families are needing monthly assistance.
Summary – While FCDC has enjoyed tremendous impact on the Wa-Nee Community for the past 21 years, The Center and the programs have outgrown the current facility. Concern for the safety of clients and volunteers and staff is foremost in the reasons for the anticipated move to the present Boys and Girls Club space in Central School. A move to North Main Street will give a broader and bigger presence for FCDC in the area and throughout the Elkhart County region.
FCDC has established itself as the go-to agency in Wa-Nee for assistance of any kind. A newer and better facility will enable The Center to move forward in providing service and ministry to our community for many years to come.
Improvements for Family Christian Development Center Include:
- Renovate former Boys & Girls Club space to meet the programming needs of Family Christian Development Center
- Provide accessible space on one level
- Segregate Immunization Clinic, Food Assistance and Clothing Closet to allow better access and increased privacy for patrons.
- Collaborations with neighboring Elder Haus Senior Center for intergenerational programs and service opportunities.